3 medium red onions
1/2 cup spiced butter (also know as tesmi or kbe)
1/4 cup chili paste (also know as d’lk, a hot chili mixed with water, oil and spices)
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 lbs beef (preferably a beef brisket or any cut of your favorite beef)
1. Chop onions into small fine pieces.
2. Heat a shallow deep pan, about 3 to 4 inches deep.
3. Add half of the spiced butter.
4. Once butter is melted add the chopped onions and cook it until the onion is caramelized.
5. Be sure not to burn the onions, keep steering!
6. Add the chili paste to the cooked onions.
7. Mix it well by adding a drop of water at a time as needed.
8. Cook for about 15 minutes by adding a drop of water as you stir to stop it from drying.
9. Add tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes more stirring it often and adding a drop of water as needed to prevent it from drying out.
10. Cut beef into small bite sizes, about ½ inch cubes.
11. Add beef to the cooking paste and cook covered for about 20 minutes or until it is cooked fully.
12. Add the remainder of the spiced butter and mix well.
13. Let cook of about 5 more minutes.
14. Depending on your personal desire, you may add more water to bring it to the consistency you like.
90 minutes to preparation time
Sent by Lemlem, Boston, Sep 2006
Share your favorite Ethiopian recipes with ER readers.