It’s Musical March Madness! The sprawling bracket — both a parody and a tribute to the NCAA basketball tournament, masterminded by MTV News’ James Montgomery — takes the 65 biggest names in rock, splits them up into four regions, assigns them seeds and puts them up against one another in a single-elimination series of match-ups in a winner-take-all contest. We’re leaving it to you to decide an actual champ in this field of 65. Over the next few weeks, we will present a series of polls that will allow you to vote for the match-ups presented in MTV News’ Band Bracketology. You vote for the winners, we’ll keep advancing the seeds and, in the end, we’ll have some sort of champion. What will the winner receive? Little more than our esteem (as well as that of the fans) and some Internet bragging rights.
The first round is nearly over, but there are still a number of decisions to be made and votes to be cast. Check out the next two pairings and keep voting for your favorites!
(4) Lil Wayne vs. (13) Alice in Chains
Weezy has always been the favorite rapper of a lot of indie rock types, but his latest album Rebirth establishes him as a rock act. Alice in Chains have managed to overcome the loss of their frontman and a long period of dormancy to score some big hits with their comeback album Black Gives Way to Blue. Can Wayne — a hardcore sports fan — make a run in the tournament from his jail cell, or will he be derailed by Alice in Chains?
(5) John Mayer vs. (12) Nick Jonas
John Mayer has had a rough time lately, but he remains a top-selling artist and a huge live draw. Nick Jonas left his primary gig in the Jonas Brothers, recruited some members of Prince’s band and went on a funk-fueled tour on his own. Mayer is an established star and Jonas a rising phenomenon, but which one has enough momentum to carry him into the second round?
- MTV News’ Musical March Madness: Phish Vs. Coheed And Cambria, Adam Lambert Vs. Alice In Chains
- MTV News’ Musical March Madness: Coheed And Cambria Vs. Alice In Chains
- MTV News’ Musical March Madness: Breaking Down The Elite Eight
- MTV News’ Musical March Madness: Pete Wentz Vs. Patrick Stump, Nickelback Vs. The Hold Steady
- MTV News’ Musical March Madness: Phish Vs. MMJ, DMB Vs. Them Crooked Vultures