It’s Musical March Madness! The sprawling bracket — both a parody and a tribute to the NCAA basketball tournament, masterminded by MTV News’ James Montgomery — takes the 65 biggest names in rock, splits them up into four regions, assigns them seeds and puts them up against one another in a single-elimination series of match-ups in a winner-take-all contest. We’re leaving it to you to decide an actual champ in this field of 65. Over the next few weeks, we will present a series of polls that will allow you to vote for the match-ups presented in MTV News’ Band Bracketology. You vote for the winners, we’ll keep advancing the seeds and, in the end, we’ll have some sort of champion. What will the winner receive? Little more than our esteem (as well as that of the fans) and some Internet bragging rights.
The NCAA basketball tournament resumes today with Sweet 16 action, but MTV News’ Musical March Madness continues in its second round. Today we visit the West and Midwest regions, with plenty of excellent head-to-heads featuring some high-powered bands. Let’s get to the action in the West!
(7) Death Cab for Cutie vs. (15) Panic! at the Disco
With the recent release of “The Twilight Saga: New Moon” on DVD, Death Cab for Cutie have received yet another surge of good will thanks to their excellent song “Meet Me on the Equinox” that was included on the film’s soundtrack. Meanwhile, Panic! at the Disco may be a bit off the radar working on new music but have proven they still have a galvanized and devoted group of fans. Who will come out on top in this intriguing tilt?
(6) Weezer vs. (14) The Young Veins
The Young Veins are coming off a well-received performance at this year’s SXSW, but they go up against a surging Weezer squad that recovered from an injury to its star player (frontman Rivers Cuomo, who missed some action thanks to a bus accident) to make quick work of their opening round opponents. Both bands make strong cases for advancement, but which will live to fight another day?
- MTV News’ Musical March Madness: Panic! Vs. Young Veins, 30 Seconds To Mars Vs. My Chemical Romance
- MTV News’ Musical March Madness: My Chemical Romance Vs. Panic! At The Disco
- MTV News’ Musical March Madness: Tokio Hotel Vs. Radiohead, Vampire Weekend Vs. Phoenix
- MTV News’ Musical March Madness: Dave Matthews Band Vs. Phish, Mastodon Vs. Coheed And Cambria
- MTV News’ Musical March Madness: Phish Vs. Coheed And Cambria, Adam Lambert Vs. Alice In Chains