Al Mezan Condemns Internal Attacks in Gaza; Gaza Government Obligated to Control the Use of Small Arms
Internal attacks in Gaza are on the rise again. According to Al Mezan Centre for Human Rights, two incidents of misuse of weapons have been documented in three days; one person was killed and one person was injured.
At app. 6pm on Saturday 10 April 2010, Suhaib Ismail Barbakh,18, who lives in Khan Younis, died in a family feud between the Barbakh and Al Akhras families. Suhaib Ismail Barbakh was shot in the abdomen while he was in the Al Uroba street in the Al Jnina neighborhood in Rafah. His body was admitted to Abu Yousif An-Najar Hospital. One of the offenders handed himself over to the police. Police started investigations and arrested several persons from the Al Akhras family.
In a separate incident, at app. 11am on Wednesday 7 April 2010, an armed man opened fire on Abdel Nasir Abdel Rahman Hmed, 46. As a result, he was injured by a bullet in the right leg. According to medical sources at Shifa Hospital, his injuries are described as moderate.
According to Al Mezan’s field investigations, the two feuds are personal and family- related, but the weapons which were used were factions-owned weapons. These kind of incidents raises concerns and remind the public of previous similar incidents where small arms from Palestinian security apparatus and resistance weapons were used.
Al Mezan calls on the Gaza Government to act upon its obligations and to initiate prompt, effective investigations into these incidents; particularly those involving the use of small arms in such attacks, and in family feuds, and to prosecute the perpetrators of such criminal acts without delay. It also calls on the Palestinian resistance and political parties to ensure that small arms are not used in family disputes or crimes, regardless of the political or factional affiliation of those who use them.
(Al Mezan Center for Human Rights)
- Gaza Government Prohibits a Sit-in in Solidarity with UNRWA and a Workshop by ICHR – Al Mezan Condemns these Decisions and Calls for Respecting the Law
- Al Mezan Condemns the Continued Israeli Attacks on Gaza; Calls on the International Community to Intervene
- IOF Continues its Attacks on Palestinian Civilians and their Properties in the Gaza Strip; Al Mezan Calls for an End to the Collective Punishment
- Al Mezan monthly report: Continuous Israeli violations against Palestinians in March; Four people killed in buffer zone and 30 injured
- Flotilla Activists Detained in Israel without Access to Lawyers, Al Mezan Calls for Investigation, Accountability, and End of the Siege of Gaza