Afghan and international forces captured several insurgents, evacuated civilians after an explosion, and seized enemy weapons stockpiles in recent operations, military officials in Afghanistan reported.
– A combined Afghan-international security force detained several suspected militants in a rural area of northeaster Marja in Helmand province this morning.
– In the Tarini Kot district of Uruzgan province this morning, a combined force found a 105 mm artillery round, a grenade and four mortar rounds.
– In Kandahar City last night, the International Security Assistance Force helped Afghan forces in evacuating and treating wounded civilians after a large explosion. ISAF forces airlifted nine civilians to a medical treatment facility at Kandahar Airfield.
– Also in Kandahar last night, a combined force in the Panjwayi district was met with small-arms fire when approaching a compound where militant activity was reported. The combined force returned fire and killed one insurgent in the initial engagement. Later, another armed insurgent attempted to maneuver on the combined force and was killed. The security force captured a Taliban bombing cell leader, responsible for building and emplacing roadside bombs in the area, who surrendered when confronted. Several other suspects also were detained. A search uncovered a rocket-propelled grenade and 2,000 rounds of small-arms ammunition.
– In Marja yesterday, Afghan and international partners surrounded a compound where a Taliban commander was located. When people inside the compound refused to answer the Afghan forces calling for them to come out, Afghan special police led the combined force into the compound. One insurgent presented a threat to the combined force and was killed. Another insurgent was detained by Afghan authorities. Three women and four children were protected throughout this operation, and no civilians were injured, officials said.
– In Helmand’s Nad-e Ali district yesterday, a combined patrol found 10 anti-personnel mines, a claymore mine, seven mortar rounds and small-arms ammunition.
– On April 13, a combined force located and killed a suicide-bomb facilitator northeast of Lashkar Gah in Helmand province.