A 13-year-old Santa Ana boy killed his 19-year-old cousin with a rifle in what appears to have been an accident, police said Wednesday.
Catherine Gonzalez was shot Tuesday after she invited friends and family to a small gathering in a home in the 500 block of East Washington Avenue, the Santa Ana Police Department said.
It was unclear how the youth came across the weapon, one of four or five rifles kept at the home, police said.
"How does a 13-year-old end up with a rifle?" Cpl. Anthony Bertagna said. "Who is responsible for that?"
He said detectives had turned over their findings to the Orange County district attorney’s office, which will decide whether charges will be filed.
Police said the youth was struggling to cope with the loss of his cousin. "He’s devastated by this," Bertagna said.
– Robert J. Lopez
- 3-year-old boy struck and killed by car in Santa Ana
- Car kills Santa Barbara homeless man who survived earlier accident
- Santa Ana boy, 16, arrested in fatal beating of man
- Funeral services set for sheriff’s deputy who died in Santa Clarita motorcycle accident
- Santa Ana mother charged with having sex with boy, 15, who fathered her child