July 21, 2012
It is to be noted that the alliance of the Ethiopian opposition political forces has been the persistent demand of the Ethiopian people ever since the TPLF dictatorial regime of the Tigrayan People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) has ascended to power some 21 years ago. Thus far, this important but very demanding effort of united struggle of the opposition forces has been frustrated by several factors. However, given the stages of the contradictions in the country and the difficult circumstances our people are facing daily, there are some encouraging efforts and prospects on the horizon. The much demanded united struggle of the opposition may soon come to fruition. Evidently, it has now become more than obvious that scattered and fragmented struggles of the opposition forces are never to bring about the desired changes. One such positive development in this direction is the initiation of an alliance formation between ALEJE and OLF.
Leaders of ALEJE and OLF led by General Kemal Gelchu in several of the joint meetings they have been conducting for the last few months, have agreed on the following two major issues in order to remove the political system instituted by the TPLF and to establish a just and an all inclusive democratic order.
- ALEJE and OLF have agreed to facilitate a speedy formation of a broader and all inclusive united front of all willing opposition political forces that have the objective of united struggle in order to launch a resolute struggle and movement in any possible form.
- In the meantime, until the desired broad united front is established, ALEJE and OLF have resolved that they will coordinate and collaborate on all activities including matters of foreign relations, political, public relations, and organizational issues inside and outside of Ethiopia.
As we have always been expressing our commitment to the main and cardinal principles of the struggle of the Ethiopian people without any equivocation in the past, ALEJE and OLF have reaffirmed their sincere commitment and pledge to continue on the same path until the TPLF rule is removed and replaced by democratic order. To this effect, they have agreed that:
- The source of all political powers, at local, at regional or Federal levels, shall be fair and free elections.
- The federal system to be established shall be real and genuine.
- They shall use all forms of struggle that are timely and possible to remove the TPLF rule.
- A transitional provisional government that will be established shall be composed of all political and civic organizations.
- All the aforementioned activities shall be conducted in a country that is known as sovereign Ethiopia.
Victory to the struggling people of Ethiopia!